the randomness that I call my life

Sunday, August 13, 2006

My latest obsession

Ok, so here's the deal.

I have a sickness.

I know I have it. Those that are close to me know I have it. It's bad.

I know I tend to get overexcited about things sometimes. That may be annoying to some, and so I apologize. But really that is just the way I am and I don't know that I can fix it. Nor do I really know if I want to fix it. It's makes me me. And "IT" is simply the fact that I tend to obsess over certain things. I don't know if it's directly related to what's going on in my life at the time, or the mood I happen to be in when I experience particular things, or what......but we are now (and when I say 'we', I of course mean me, and whoever cares to join me in my crazy little world) entering the phase of obsession that is, simply,

WICKED

And let me just say that I could not have asked for a better sister. Larilyn bought these tickets for us and I know she went through a lot of crap to get them. I'm so glad I have such a great sister!!!
So we went to see Wicked on Friday night at the Orange County Performing Arts Center. I love that theater.....I saw Beauty and the Beast there and Lion King, and I think something else, but I don't remember what it was. We had pretty good seats, so that was great.
If you don't know what Wicked is about,
A. have you been living in a cave for the last 3 years? and
B. it's the untold story about the witches from Oz and how they grew up and went to school together. It tells the story of how the Wicked Witch of the West became wicked.

Now I've been in love with the music from Wicked for a couple years. When it was nominated for several Tony's the year it came out they performed one of the main songs during the awards show and I was hooked. I got the soundtrack. I got the sheet music for the piano. I was really into the music for quite awhile, but it wore off, as most of my minor obsessions do.
But now it's back in full swing!
Wicked is the best thing.....EVER!
Really....to me, right now, it is. I even said last night that I would probably give up all my Nightmare Before Christmas collection to get front row tickets for this weekends performance. It is playing just through Sunday at that theater and then it's moving on. I have been checking ebay and craig's list constantly to see if anybody is foolish enough to sell tickets for less than $500 a pair. There's no way I could afford to go, and yet I keep hoping some miracle will happen. I've been listening to the soundtrack constantly in my car (except while my clients are in the car.....no sense in bothering others with my obsession), and I've been scouring the internet like a mad woman looking for any videos I can get my hands on.
I just paid $45 for two bootleg dvds....one with the original broadway cast and one with the cast that we saw here. And that's actually a bargain. The couple of other people I talked to wanted like $50 for one, and they said they weren't the best quality. So hopefully the ones I am getting will be fairly good.
And on the plus side, I have read that because of the high demand here in Southern California, they are bringing Wicked back to L.A. indefinitely starting in February. YAY!!! I'll probably be going to see it like once a month.

IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN WICKED YOU MUST SEE IT!!!!!

I promise you that you will not be sorry. It is FANTASTIC! The music is incredible and it is really funny. It is by far my favorite musical I have ever seen.
And yes, I love it even more than Chicago, which some know was my previous ridiculous obsession.

I really wish I knew why I was this way though. It gets kind of scary at times.
But I suppose there are worse things that could be wrong with me. haha

thanks for reading my rambling and I apologize for my over-enthusiasm
i need to start a support group. WAA. Wicked Addicts Anonymous.

10 Comments:

  • like I need another thing to obsess over. Actually, my mom wasn't a fan. I have personally never heard the music or seen it, and although I have the book somewhere (yes, it was a book first, in fact there is more than one in the series) I haven't read it. But my stepdad works at the Denver Performing Arts Center so I imagine I could... for FREE even. Come on out. I'll work a deal with you concerning that Nightmare collection and a plane ticket to Colorado Springs. ;)

    By Blogger Holly, at 9:00 PM  

  • Ok, really. I just checked the schedule, and if you are still obsessed in May next year, we can go for free, and it occurs to me the plane would probably be cheaper than you buying tickets there anyways. :)How fun would that be?

    By Blogger Holly, at 9:06 PM  

  • Great....now LaRelle is going to MOVE IN with Holly. ;)

    By Blogger Larilyn, at 11:21 PM  

  • Holly....don't be joking with me. This is a serious matter.
    I will be there you know. :p

    Oh, and as for the book...I was told by a couple of people not to read it before I saw the show. So don't read it. lol

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12:18 AM  

  • Don't read it before OR after the show! It is NOT good!!

    By Blogger Larilyn, at 10:19 AM  

  • LaRelle, back when I was seeing a lot of plays, to name: Phantom, Sunset Blvd, Starlight Express, Lion King, Beauty & the Beast, Les Miserables, The Producers, etc. I too became addicted to the show & music.

    That is the pure beauty of these types of shows.

    By Blogger Traci, at 12:37 PM  

  • And to add, you are not weird. You are just in love with the "magic"

    By Blogger Traci, at 12:39 PM  

  • Yay for obsessions!!!

    By Blogger Amber, at 5:34 PM  

  • Ana Gasteyer

    Did you like it though?? :)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12:57 AM  

  • I <3 Kerri

    :)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home